Anything But Cute - Making Magic

Hiya Everyone!

Firstly, huge apologies if I've not been round, I was intending to at the weekend, but things are picking up pace here, some good, some bad, but we'll keep plodding on! I will take some time - hopefully soonish - to catch up. For now, I'm keeping on top of commenting and creative duties ;), whilst problem solving the design aspect of a new kitchen lol

Secondly, HALLOOO :) to me latest followers, thanks for joining me along my arty journey!

So, now, down to business, this month over at Anything But Cute, I had the honour of choosing our challenge theme, and drum roll please :), it is:

MAKING MAGIC

"Most of us are drawn to the magic of fairy tales and fantasy. The colours are often hypnotic and your mind is free to explore outside the limits of reality. For this challenge, I would like you to create a magical mixed media project strongly inspired by the moodboard. Be inspired by the theme, the colours, the textures or all three. Lets bring a little magic back! '


I just adore greens and golds/oranges together, with hints of browns, and isn't there just something so magical about dappled light? :) I'm so fortunate in that where I live I am minutes from woods, with rivers and ponds and all sorts of amazing wildlife. Although I was extremely inspired by I wanted to inject some magic... Fairytales and fantasy, and when mixed with art... wow, you can do so much!

For this challenge, I knew I wanted to create a mixed media canvas, with a fairytale theme:


Those of you in England maybe aware of those adverts that appear around the beginning of Autumn with the fairies in the woods. It's that kind of magical feeling that gave me the inspiration for this piece.

Lots of mixed media pieces, but the biggest key to this for creating light and dark was using a mix of white gesso and black gesso. 


I used some lovely chips from Dusty Attic


Resin roses coated lightly in gesso, and the metal butterfly, which was given to me awhile a go by a crafty friend. 


The fairy is another Dusty Attic chipboard piece. I sprayed her with Lindy's first and then used their embossing powders, creating an uneven surface for the dappled look. I then edged her wings with Viva Inka Gold copper in places so it looked like the light was coming through showing some magical transparency to them.


Used Galleria Micro Glass Bead Gel, then hit with the copper paint to highlight.


Some camouflaged birds on mini branches. The little branches, I thought, just extended and closed the surrounding edge, to help with the effect of looking into a magical world.


Ahhh, stencils....! :) Love stencils. All in all I used four stencils with modelling paste to before painting to create the background. All from The Crafters Workshop. 


Some gems to add that extra sparkle :)


The flourish chippies were perfect for adding depth, and I made sure to actually paint the sides black too. 


More stencilling along the sides.


...and some more :)


Just a different view....


... and another :)

Hope you enjoyed todays post and the challenge I've set for you!

Much hugs,
Georgie xx


I'd like to enter this in:

Dusty Attic Inspiration Board:
The greens and gold tones, and words fit this beautifully.











Rhedd's Creative Spirit - Anything Goes Mixed Media
Altered Eclectics - Anything Goes Mixed Media
Mixed Media Mojo - Anything Goes
That Crafty Place - Anything Goes Mixed Media
Country View Challenges - Summertime (Twilight summer)

38 comments

  1. Wow Georgie, this is just stunning! I really love the look you achieved by using a mix and white and black Gesso, brilliant idea! Your wood elements are wonderful, the "one upon a time" is such a magical focal piece and the fairy and butterflies just add to the fantasy feel of your piece! You knocked it out of the park my friend! Love it! big hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWW!!! Georgie this is one out of this world and so very magical piece! So much detail and texture that is simply mind blowing! What caught my eye in all that amazingly wonderful beauty is that tiny birdhouse in lower right corner...can you believe that??? I kept staring at it like I was hypnotized!!! I love the style you went with! Just fabulous my dear!!!
    Hugs :)

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magical indeed. Love your play with light and dark and all that awesome texture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooooooh, this is a true magic, Georgie! I am completely blown away by this masterpiece of art! I love how you played with black and white gesso! Amazing! Every single detail here is a separate piece of art, my friend! All I want to do is to touch that stunner! Absolutely spectacular make!
    Huge hugs! Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could knock me over with a feather right now! Georgie, this really took my breath away, with each and every photo--oh, I'm so glad you treated us to so many photos! First of all I am in awe of your awesome creativity in creating the magical light using white and black gesso--just a brilliant idea! And then to add those chips, textures and colors is just Georgie artistic awesomeness! Can you tell, I'm completely SPEEECHLESS over this amazing work of art???? Oh, I want to see this in person! You have just blown me away with this magical make from one corner to the next! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely gorgeous! I love the fairy, the wonderful textured background, the way you treated the chips, the light you created - well everything really!! Stunning work! Hope all continues well with the kitchen! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh its divine! It so layered and textured and I love it! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning! Georgie Such lush colours, texture and detail . Your creative mind and hands have truly worked their magic on this canvas . Thank you so much for sharing all those fabulous close ups . x

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh this is stunning I love the colours and detail I am going to have a crack at this challenge

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous, Georgie. I keep going back for one more look and find something else, that I had missed, to wow about. You are the queen of mixed media art :-) A truly beautiful work of art and who doesn't like fairies? Love it!
    ♥ Lena
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Georgie, that is so beautiful, it absolutely glows! You've captured the essence of magic and make believe perfectly, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You soooo ROCK Dusty Attic chippies. This is just glorious. It looks like it could BE an advertisement. LOVE it.....hoping you get to win some more chippy from us, cos you sure do deserve it......always happy to see you joining in with our challenges:):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is gorgeous Georgie!!I love all the little details! The moodboard is amazing, it inspired me immediately! I have some ideas in my head already!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely, mind blowingly magical and divine design Gee! I love everything you have done here, the colors, the details, the textures, the everything! This is such a stunning masterpiece and gorgeous! This mood board generates so many wonderful thoughts and ideas! Thank you for such an awesome challenge theme! Huge Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my Georgie, this truly took my breath away ! I LOVE it ! The colours, the texture the font of the words and the fairy, totally stunning ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  16. STUNNING Georgie...just beautiful.

    luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulously magically awesome! Thanks for sharing with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month! Nanette, DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous and really fabulous, beautiful details, colors and texture!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh wow! Just.. wow! This piece is amazing, and I think I just fell in love with it!!! I love everything about it!
    Thank you so much for joining Mixed Media Mojo's August challenge "Anything goes".
    Siv x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Enchanting! The depth and contrast you achieved is wonderful! Beautiful work and very magical!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow this is stunning the detail is amazing bless you for playing at that craft place this week hugs cheryxxl

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This is amazing! I love your use of the chippies. Thanks for joining in at The Dusty Attic.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm delighting in the details the fabulous colours and the amazing textures Georgie. My sympathies with building a kitchen...I still wake with nighmares from ours 18 months ago!
    We appreciate you joining in with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This canvas is absolutely gorgeous!! I love every single thing about it!!
    Thank you for playing along this month with Dusty Attic and the best of luck at winning some more chippy!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Georgie, I am so honoured by your comment on my blog, for my entry for the challenge, you're just too sweet and I love that you like my interpretation of your awesome and magical moodboard! I love fairies and sparkles so much, your moodboard just gave me instant inspiration and it gave the best of me!! Thank you again! Love Sanderijn

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for playing along with this month Dusty Attic mood-board as well...Just love all the textures and added elements and of course the glorious colours!

    ReplyDelete
  27. stunning make with great texture - thankyou for joining us at Countryview challenges and good luck in the draw. Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a beautiful canvas, thank you for sharing it with us at Mixed Media Mojo.
    xxx Hazel.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations, Georgie! Great to see this beauty take winner's place at That crafty Place! So well deserved! This is just so stunning! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The colours, the texture , love it <3
    corinne de france

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow - this is jaw-droppingly beautiful, Georgie - the faerie land magic and mystery of the colours and textures, beautiful altered chipboard pieces and wonderful textures all add up to something really special.
    Thanks so much for playing along at Country View Challenges.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Georgie this is so beautiful and I must tell you what an inspiration you are to an oldie like me! I love all the fabulous texture here - true magic! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Goodness Gracious Georgie!! This is absolutely gorgeous and magical!!! The textures, the colors, the way you beautified the chipboard is just so artistically beautiful!! Thank you for joining us at Dusty Attic for the Inspiration this month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great theme, Georgie! And your project is fabulous - gorgeous colors and textures - love all the flourish details. Beautiful eye candy! xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful box - love the fairy and the lettering - so magical!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Gorgeous project, I love those chip boards & brilliant lettering. A peek into the magical....

    ReplyDelete
  37. 1st drool of my visit! Those dusty attic chippies are lovely but oh how you've created such texture and colour on this creation...yummy heaven! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete